1. Leaving the house without a hat/scarf/space suit in winter is not an option
Seriously. I have a hat trauma.
2. Leaving your window open is essential
"Laura, hast du heute schon dein Zimmer gelüftet?!"
Stale air is a leading cause of death in Germany apparently.
3. Leaving your window open will cause certain death
"Laura, mach dein Fenster zu sonst erkältest du dich!!"
Cold air is a leading cause of death in Germany apparently.
4. Lunch is the most important meal of the day
Who cares about hot dinners when you can have hot lunch?
(I actually really love this because it means nommy bread in the evenings)
5. You are allowed to go on a rampage in public until the age of 10 when you suddenly become the devil’s child and they have no idea why you’re misbehaving
Small German kids are a pest. Seriously. Control your offspring.
7. Meat counts as one of your five a day
Unfortunately not just a stereotype
(although in my case it’s more my grandparents that this applies to)
8. Smiling like an absolute loon and poking their noses into yours, your friends’ and your teacher’s business is part of the job description
never cross a German mother if you know what’s good for you. Trust me.
9. Going barefoot in the house is a cardinal sin
You put on those slippers or face eternal damnation because COLD. FLOORS. KILL.
just like open and closed windows.
Windows are dangerous.
And last but definitely not least:
10. Your childhood was filled with a huge amount of love and attention
Because German parents (in general) spoil their kids rotten.
Love you Mama and Papa xoxox